Friday, April 30, 2010

GTE Day +2 – Tigre, San Isidro, and the worst Chinese food ever


I woke up today not really knowing what I wanted to do. We've got 3 days left so at some point I know I want to see the "touristy" sights and from Andrew and Gary I know that the open bus is the best way to do that. Barbara also mentioned going to a town about 20 minutes outside of Buenos Aires called Tigre which is also on the water and is the town people escape to during the weekends. Being Friday, she thought it might be a better day to go since it would be less busy. That sounded like a pretty good idea. Barbara called her mom and asked if she could borrow her mom's car to drive us there (chalk another one up for having a local guide)! We took a cab to her mom's place about 10 blocks away and picked up her mom's car. It was a little teal Renault (I called it jellybean). Funniest little car I've ever seen. But it got us there! We stopped along the river and ate lunch on a beautiful day. One of the things Barbara had suggested to the group to try at some point is a "parrillada". It's basically a little metal grill (think a hibachi) that is stacked with a bunch of different kinds of meat. We got Bife de Chorizo, sausage, blood sausage, kidneys, intestine, etc). It's awesome. After lunch, we walked down the street to a little ice cream shop called "Viva Toscana". The cutest little ice cream shop ever. Not to mention, the best fricking ice cream ever. I just got plain chocolate, but the dulce de leche (caramel) was amazing. I now know to order that anywhere I go. We finished our ice cream sitting along the river then Barbara wanted to show us around some of the areas and the nice houses. We drove around a bit and she took us to San Isidro to look out over a beautiful skyline of Buenos Aires. It was actually the same part we had travelled a few days earlier from Colonia on the ferry. We got coffee on the lawn of the local inn and just enjoyed each other's company and the impressive views. Then we hopped back into Jellybean and headed back to Barbara's mom's place to drop off the car and head back to Barbara's flat. We got back around 8pm and realized that we hadn't made any plans for dinner so we debated what/where to eat. We finally settled (I don't know how) on Chinese food. Sushi was the other option, but take out sushi sounded a little suspect to me not to mention I still had the amazing sushi dinner with Sam in the back of my mind and didn't want to ruin that. Anyway, we should have gotten sushi. Probably the worst Chinese food I've ever eaten. It made Panda Express seem like 5 star gourmet food. What's amazing is Chinese people actually cook it! It just sucks! LOL! We ordered fried rice, chow mein, sweet and sour pork, and egg rolls. I think I tried a little of each and stopped eating. Even the egg rolls were bad. Come on now? How do you screw up egg rolls?!? (On another note, the grocery store across the street from Barbara's flat is owned by Chinese. Now, there is nothing funnier than seeing a Chinese person speaking Spanish… with a Chinese accent. It's TFF!!) I went to sleep knowing at least tomorrow I'd get to go back into the city since I didn't get to today. Tomorrow is basically the last day to do so since Sunday is a big market in San Telmo that Barbara wants to take us to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment