Sunday, May 2, 2010

GTE Day +4 – San Telmo Market


We all woke up late, 11am knowing it was our last full day/night in Buenos Aires. I also woke up with an idea in my head. I told Barbara and Justin that I would be moving out that night and into a hotel for 1 night so they could have the place to themselves. I had found a place nearby for $40 US for the night so would just leave my big backpack and pack an overnight pack. They pretended to be sad but I'm sure they were pretty stoked. Then we got ready to head back to San Telmo for the Sunday market. The Sunday market in San Telmo is the street fair of street fairs. BLOCK AND BLOCKS of amazing street vendors selling leather goods, wood sculptures, jewelry, etc. It was pretty amazing. I bought gifts for everyone for about $130 US including some really nice leather goods and jewelry. I had been coordinating with Amanda and her friends and I also knew Hannah and Elizabeth would be there but without phones. I was walking down the street with Justin and Babs behind me buying gifts when all of a sudden, I turned around and they were gone! Shit. I looked around for 10 minutes then decided to head back to the square (the center of the market). We had all talked about it so I hoped they would figure out to try and find me there. I also knew Amanda was there with her friends. I found them quite easily, but Justin and Babs were nowhere to be found. I was sending Justin texts but when he didn't respond, figured he left his phone at Bab's place. I knew where I was and how to get back to Bab's place so I was ok with spending the day with Amanda and her friends. We spent the day walking around looking at the amazing goods for sale and watching the street artists when we decided to stop for ice cream (dulce de leche for me this time!). While we were standing out front, I spotted a familiar face walking in the crowd. Hannah! (Again, what are the odds?) We all reconvened and Hannah and I decided to head back on the metro to Palermo SOHO and I'd make my way back to Bab's flat to get my overnight pack and head to my hotel. I got back to Bab's place around 8pm and they were acting like guilty parents for losing their kid at the mall. It was pretty funny. I guess they didn't have a very good day because they spent the day looking for me. I told them I had a great day. LOL! We caught up for a bit and I grabbed my stuff to leave for the night. Babs and Justin wanted to check out my new digs so they came with me. Thank god they did. The place was 3 blocks away but when we got there, it wasn't a "boutique hotel" but was an apartment building. The night guard had no clue what we were talking about. And since my reservation didn't have an apartment number, he couldn't even find out what apartment it was supposed to be. He also didn't speak any English so Babs had to do the translating. Love that girl. After 30 minutes, we told him forget it and I'd find other accommodations. Fortunately, there are 2 other legit hotels less than a block from Babs place. Though more expensive. The first was $280 US a night. Uhh, no thanks. The next was $130. Sold. It was a super cute boutique hotel called the "Krista Hotel". They even bring you a plate of cookies and a glass of water upon check in. Nice big comfy bed (no more futons), AC, WIFI, it was beautiful. Though the shower was shit. What is it with showers with crap water pressure down here? It was a shower, but I was literally cupping my hands to catch water and throwing it on myself. But I fell asleep early (midnight) saddened that I would be leaving this amazing city the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment